Bryce Canyon National Park, then almost home

A great night in the Utah desert, and a rather chilly morning, surprisingly, but I got up and hurried out of there with the intention of getting to Bryce Canyon National Park. I wondered if I would have enough time and decided it was only 20 minutes one-way, out-of-the-way as I continued on my route home. This would be my third time visiting Bryce and I’m so glad I did. As with any National Park, there are some new changes and the Ranger told me that because I’m over 20 feet I would have to park in the main parking lot and take the shuttle bus in to see the viewpoints. She gave me a tag to hang in my window. My heart sank to the bottom, since I know the shuttle buses will not except pets, and I was not willing to leave Jo Jo. However, upon examining the tag, it indicated vehicles over 23 feet to park and shuttle. My Travato is 21 feet. Hmmmm, I was annoyed. So I ignored the directions and went straight to the parking area at the sunrise amphitheater and not only did I see other camper vans like me, but I saw another Travato. Visiting national parks is a wonderful thing, however, they are congested, and can be a big hassle as well. I didn’t spend more than an hour here. Just enough to capture a few images. A couple of them are quite stunning with the way the light hit the hoo doos. They looked translucent and glowed in the morning sun. I reluctantly left and drove for many hours until I finally reached the Coconino Forest in Flagstaff. For a Tuesday it was quite full as I tried to find a spot to camp. The road to Locket Meadows is closed. I entered Forest Road 418. The road became steeper and rutted, and I finally decided I needed to back out. However, this was such a narrow road with steep ditches and silty edges. I managed to back up about a mile. I had to self talk, and I was aggravated, because this was a challenge in the bright sun, which cast dark shadows in my back up camera. I thought… please… I want to get out of here now! I was so careful in my travels, and I don’t want to wind up getting stuck in Flagstaff…in the final day. In the end it worked out and I found a decent spot, much safer and easy. I enjoyed a quiet evening, knowing that this will be the last night on this particular journey.



































Comments

  1. You certainly did the trip of a lifetime, and you did it well! I am definitely envious Frida! It has been wonderful to read your blog and see your photos. Even THAT you did well! I think if I were to ever go back I would take your blog with me and follow in your tracks. Hmmm...you could actually write a travel guide for others, me thinks!🤔 Your photos of Bryce are stunning! You know, I threw most of Doug's ashes into Bryce Canyon a few years ago. (He's spread all over where we traveled. Sshhh, don't tell anyone 🤭)He was on the navy ship called the Bryce Canyon. Then when we went to the park visitor center 8 years ago there was a register where navy guys that had been on the Bryce Canyon ship signed their names. Doug recognized a bunch of his shipmates. Anyway, you're home now. The Silver Gypsy took you where you needed to be. Now, to adjust to being home. Might take a while. The cat won't be able to be on the counter as much🤭 Welcome home Wander Woman! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, Freebird you are so kind! This is the nicest thing I have heard about my journey. There were a few out there, in my life, that tried to discourage a trip like this. It’s a big endeavor, and to do it alone can be, and at times was challenging. But I should have your name: Freebird #2, as that is how this trip made me feel! Thank you for your kindness and friendship. Please come see me in Arizona!

      Delete
  2. I hereby declare you "Freebird!" (Not #2) Am honored and would love to share my name with you!!!! So fitting for your lifestyle. Hope you are adjusting to being home after your adventure! UGH! It sure can be a restless time for me and I've never been gone as long as you! Breathe in, breathe out, repeat, Freebird.😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored to be Freebird Frida! Both free. Freebirds do get restless. Take off, freebird, fly...in your Travato! Breathe! Adjusting is a slow process. But I am getting there.....I just finished rubbing tar spots off of the Sylver Gyspy. You know in Alaska there are 2 seasons. Winter, and summer construction, and I drove through all of it, with fresh tar too. Ugh. I use a leaf blower (instead of vacuuming) to push the dust out, and she is put away for a long nap now. I bought new mouse traps, as I will have to check daily on this nightmare. But it's all good. Love this RV!

      Delete
    2. Freebird Frida! PERFECT! I like it!👍

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wiseman to Atigun Pass, AK

At home now… from the great 2023 Alaska Road Trip!

Heading south from Atigun Pass